Skip to content
For Individuals With Hearing Loss
- Tell others how best to talk with you.
- Face your audience directly.
- Position with back-lighting.
- Anticipate and make a plan for difficult situations.
- Pay attention.
- Concentrate on the speaker.
- Integrate visual and written cues.
- Ask for clarification.
- Acknowledge when communication is not understood.
- Defer conversation when fatigued.
- Show appreciation for efforts made when others assist you.
For Individuals Conversing With Those Who Have Hearing Loss
- Get attention first.
- Face and speak directly.
- Position for face-lighting.
- Avoid noisy environments.
- Ask how to facilitate communication.
- Refrain from shouting.
- Speak clearly at a moderate pace.
- Keep mouth cues clear.
- Use facial expressions and gestures.
- Rephrase if communication is not understood.
- Give cues when changing subjects in conversation.
- Be patient if response is slow.
- Stay positive and relaxed.
- Be respectful.